I’ve suddenly been hit with a flurry of inspiration. You know that little bubble of energy that suddenly builds inside you after seeing or hearing something that gives you the urge to do more? That hit me recently and I finally know what inspires me.
The answer? Social media. I enjoy being on Instagram and scrolling through my feed (although you shouldn’t do it constantly!). I enjoy looking at other people’s successful ventures and what new content they’ve created or are coming out with soon. This is what gets me motivated.
If I’m honest, I only discovered yesterday that a healthy social media feed is a really good source of inspiration. I was looking at feeds from people I know that are going out and just doing their own thing, or people I don’t know reaching out to brands or are maybe in the same position as me. I love watching people thrive and pursue new things, as it inspires me to do more and find my creative spirit.
This is why I think that social media may be one of the best ways to gather inspiration – it’s designed to inspire.
It’s designed to fill our feed with content that speaks to us: content that aligns with our interests and hobbies, content that we’ve maybe never seen before, or even content that connects us together. Sure, the social media space isn’t perfect. It’s ridden with negativity from people that have nothing better to do, and people with pure evil in their hearts to go and spread hate onto people’s personal spaces. But there are also ways to stop yourself from seeing these things: blocking certain words from your page, blocking pages from your explore section or even the simple, yet effective, unfollow button.
I’ve been actively trying to follow pages that excite me, or create content similar to what I want to do. One thing I even tried doing yesterday was going through my favourite Instagram pages ‘following’ list to see if there were any other pages that I liked (I was specifically looking for those in the blogging field personally). Although I only looked for about 5-10 minutes, I found feeds that align with what I want to become and stay creative in what I do. I found concepts that I could try myself that could maybe help develop my page further.
However, inspiration isn’t just something you see on social media and suddenly everything clicks. What I found is that it just gave me the energy to explore my own ideas further and gave me new ideas. The real inspiration comes from within (as cheesy as it sounds): you need to find it within yourself to come up with the ideas that suit you and what you’re about and make it work. You need to be the one to actually start. Whether it’s by brainstorming, or trying a new venture, or even by planning your next essay or work plan, you need to use the inspiration gained and put it into action. No one else can do it but you.
For me? It’s simply by starting to write. Noting down every blog post idea that comes to mind. Playing with the idea of reels and videos for my Instagram page. Maybe trying a new type of content. I need to make it work for me: gain the inspiration by filling my feed with enjoyable, thought-provoking content, then actually start on it.
If you have 20, 10 or even 5 minutes today, clear out the pages that don’t excite you anymore on your social media, or try exploring some new content. You may stumble across something you never expected to find that may change the way you think just for a moment. It’s onwards and upwards from here.
- Sightseeing In Oxford – My Top 4I’m finally back (hopefully with a bang), starting off my Oxford series from when I stayed there back in late August. Oxford is by far one of the most beautiful places I’ve seen in the UK to date: its beautiful Gothic and Baroque architecture are the star of the show for me, but there’s plenty […]
- The Truth About Being In A Rut – The Process Of Getting Over ItIt’s official: I’m in a rut. Ever since finishing university, I’ve been in this “I don’t want to do anything” phase, which I thought would last a couple days. A couple days turned into a month, and here we are now.
- The Best Olympians To Follow For All The Tokyo 2020 Behind The ScenesI’ve always been a fan of the Olympics: I love seeing how insanely talented athletes are and watching records get broken with every four years (or rather five, in this case) that passes. I love watching it with my family, and seeing the spirit of the nation rise with every medal that’s achieved. What I’ve […]
- 4 Of London’s New Art Exhibitions And Why You Have To GoAll over Instagram, I’ve been seeing reels showing London’s newest art exhibitions. Personally, I’m a huge fan of museums, and could spend hours just roaming around, but I know it’s not for everyone. However, from the reels I’ve been seeing, the exhibitions on show at the moment are absolutely magical, and I’m sure would inspire […]
- Everything You Need To Know About SandbanksSandbanks first came onto my radar when I watched a TV show talk to Harry Redknapp about his home in the area. It appeared to be a pretty exclusive area: small in size, but lined with grand houses amongst a sandy beachfront (a sandy beach in England, I know!) It wasn’t until recently that I […]