Just outside of the busy centre, you can take a wooden boat out for the day! Sure, boat hires are scattered all along the Thames, but the ones nearer to central London will often be more busy. The Richmond area offers peaceful scenery with beautiful houses and restaurants, with unique boats scattering the edges of the river.
A friend recommended this to me the other day and we went together, and it’s just such a great idea for a different day out. We took the Richmond Rowing Boat Hire (just next to Bridge Street), which offers £8 per hour per adult or £20 per adult for an entire day, with children and nursing staff getting half price, which makes for a not too expensive day either!
We went on a cloudy day and to my surprise, there was still quite a few people renting out the boats, so imagine on a sunny, hot day! It’s a great experience and a laugh especially if you haven’t rowed before! It was just so calm and enjoyable, even though we only went for an hour. We’ll plan to go for a couple hours next time when the weather’s nicer (but check ahead/call on the day, as boats will be let out on certain times depending on the tide!)
The area around the boat hire is filled with pubs, restaurants and shops, so we grabbed a drink at the Slug and Lettuce (a minutes walk away) and chilled on a small hill that looks out onto the river. So, if you want to make a day out of this, there’s plenty to do around the area. Also, if rowing isn’t your thing, there’s a paddleboarding rental nearby too!
So, if you’re looking for something new and fun to do in London, check out the Richmond boat hire! It’s not too expensive and it would be a great idea to do with friends or as a date idea! (If you’re worried about coronavirus, the boats are cleaned after each use.)
- Euro 2020: Where To Watch The Euros In London With Food And DrinkLooking for a change of scenery for this year’s Euros? Why not rally up your friends and go support your nation together over drinks? Maybe your rivalling nations are playing, and you want to watch the magic unfold together. Or maybe getting together over some good food and having a bit of seasonal entertainment is […]
- Kent’s Most Beautiful Places – My Top 4Not too long ago, I took a trip down to Kent to visit my friend and got to explore what Kent has to offer. I had been to certain places in Kent for a day, or even a couple of hours, so I have enjoyed some of Kent’s beauty before. This time however, I truly […]
- The Hidden (And Not So Hidden) Gems Of South KensingtonSouth Kensington truly represents the finer side of London: the gorgeous cream-coloured town houses, the cultural landmarks, and the glorious green spaces dotted around the area. Not to mention, the locals and the architecture scream ‘affluent’. This is just some of the reasons why this area is a must visit for tourists, and even Londoners […]
- 5 More UK Staycations For 2021While the UK Government announced a select amount of countries on the ‘green list’ with I’m sure more to come, it’s still no surprise that there’s a huge increase in the booking of staycations. If you’ve found that your destination of choice is lacking in places to stay, why not find a new place to […]
- COVID-friendly days out in London (on a budget!)There’s just one more evening until most things will be reopened in England again! I don’t know about you, but it still doesn’t feel real to me that soon we will be back to normal. While a lot of us are so excited about the reopening of many venues again, I’m sure, at the back […]